Baby Gangsta

Video games could be a game changer for medical students

Video games could be a game changer for medical students

OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT) -- A metro doctor thinks he has the answer to help future doctors become better surgeons. He says it could be a game-changer.

Focus; concentration; coordination: that's what it takes to be an avid gamer.

Nick Dubay's so good he turned pro.

"I would travel around the country in tournaments," he said.

Nick's gaming background could give him an edge in his next career.

A recent study, published in the Archives of Surgery, found surgeons who played video games for more than three hours a week made 37-percent fewer mistakes. They were also 27-percent faster than surgeons who never played.

"I found out they're doing a study that shows that these video games might actually help us learn surgical skills," said Nick.

But gaming aside, Nick wants to be doctor.

"I'm a big video game fanatic," said CHI Health's Dr. John Cote.

"When I do laparascopic surgery I found there was a connection between doing the laparascopy where we look at a camera or put a camera inside an individual and look at a screen and do surgery to what I was experiencing when I was playing video games," said Dr. Cote.

Dr. Cote is also a Creighton University assistant professor.
    And he wants to know more. He's studying a group of Creighton University Medical Students.

They play this "Underground" game then test their skills with a drill similar to laparoscopic surgery.

"To see if their skills improve more with doing nothing, doing the regular video game or doing the video game controller that looks like a laparoscopic instrument," Dr. Cote explained.

If his research also shows video games help, the plan is to incorporate more of them into their curriculum.

It's safer:
    "We want them to learn some of these skills but we don't want them to practice on people."

It's cheaper:
    "We can produce some of these simulators for individual students at a fraction of the cost that the simulator would cost."

Creighton professor Dr. John Cote of Chi Health

Dr. Cote says some doctors are performing video games before surgery. Their theory: practice makes perfect.

"Just like athletes need to practice - physicians need to practice as well it may improve outcomes for patients," said Dr. Cote.

It turns out that Nick might be ahead of the game.

"I'm happy to have something to show for it," Nick said.

Thanks to years of playing them.

The research project started about a year ago and is still going. So far, students who warm up by playing video games are performing better on the laparoscopic simulator.

https://www.wowt.com/content/news/Vi...505199231.html

I wonder the neanderthals are going to say about this one? Or is it okay now to play video games because it looks like society can benefit from it as a whole besides being an enjoyment for me.
    A father, a husband, a musician, a gamer, a cook, a film goer.

Rock On Brethren!

Sounds legit
    I imagine in the future they will incorporate VR into schooling.
    37% is horrible

Even though Video games get a bad wrap, they challenge your brain with puzzles. You always have to figure something. Now take the average non gamer; they don't have to figure much out, so they are out of "practice".

I notice I come up with ideas and solve problems at work before every one else fully understands the problem.

There was a puzzle this weekend in the Anthem demo, it was simple but the 4 of us were stumped for a minute.

Resolve is a mans top attribute...if you cant solve problems, what are you good for?

Baby Gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by MRLEGEND View Post
    Sounds legit
    I imagine in the future they will incorporate VR into schooling.
    37% is horrible

Even though Video games get a bad wrap, they challenge your brain with puzzles. You always have to figure something. Now take the average non gamer; they don't have to figure much out, so they are out of "practice".

I notice I come up with ideas and solve problems at work before every one else fully understands the problem.

There was a puzzle this weekend in the Anthem demo, it was simple but the 4 of us were stumped for a minute.

Resolve is a mans top attribute...if you cant solve problems, what are you good for?
    Absolutely. Its always amusing when video games are still given the idea that its a bunch of super mario brothers for guys who live in some fucking basement somewhere. When in actuality it takes a lot of brain power to do well in a game regardless of what it is. Frankly if you can do well in a video game, you can also do well in other avenues as well if you can continue to have the perseverance that you have in game as well as in life.
    A father, a husband, a musician, a gamer, a cook, a film goer.

Rock On Brethren!